The Congregational  Church of Union

Gathered in 1738 



About Us This Weeks Happenings Children & Youth News & Events Contact Us


An Early History


 Congregational Church of Union, CT

Our church at Union was formed on December 13, 1738. The motivation behind the settlement of the town was the wish of the people to enjoy the privileges of the gospel. They petitioned the General Assembly as follows:

                  “We beg to be incorporated as a town, that we may build a decent
                    house of public worship, settle God’s word and ordinances among
                    us and honorably maintain the same.”

Early settlers arrived here in 1720, eighteen years before the church was organized. The first settlers left Scotland about the same time the pilgrims and puritans came to New England. Although they were Presbyterians, they joined with the puritans and formed a Congregational Church.

In 1738 the charter members of the church consisted of the Pastor, Ebenezer Wyman, and fifteen males. The church suffered from irregular ministry and dissention for fifty years after its formation, and was without a pastor for twenty-five years, from 1799 to 1824. Preaching was sporadic, and at the low point only seven members remained in the church, although the population was 750—fifty more souls than we have in town in 2006.

The first church was located in the “grove” in the center and was also used for town functions. This particular church was built in 1834 and dedicated to worship. It was remodeled twice and rededicated on July 25, 1866. At that dedication Dr. Charles Hammond discussed many aspects of life which are still relevant today. He said:

                    “It falls to us now to verify God’s promises for generations
                     to come as our forefathers did in generations past, remembering
                     that in Union there is strength. Thank God for our church.”